Americans Make the Sensible Choice
According to this USA Today/Gallup poll, most Americans have as their biggest priority the creation of jobs. Taxing the wealthy was way down the list.
One oddity was that improving the nation’s public schools wasn’t very important for Romney supporters, but was much more important for Obama supporters. I thought the issue meant more to Romney supporters than this poll shows, but maybe that’s because they really prefer that all schools be private. Anyway, it was the Obama supporters who screwed up the schools in the first place.
The Weakness of Republican Rhetoric
A few weeks ago, I pointed out that the situation in Syria showed how pathetic the leftist view of the Middle East is. Specifically, I mentioned:
1. Progressives thought we ought to seek out Assad and not treat him as an enemy.
2. The right supported dictators like Mubarak, while the left supported dictators like Assad and Gadhafi. It’s pretty clear now who was more vicious.
3. What Assad is doing to his opponents makes what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians look like a slap on the wrist.
4. In no way can America (or Israel) be held to blame for this situation.
5. The left’s preferred method of dealing with situations, diplomacy, simply didn’t work.
6. The longer the massacres go on, the more the idea of never intervening looks ridiculous.
And let me add another:
7. The left’s hands-off policy regarding other cultures didn’t help with this situation one bit. Encouraging these countries to adopt Western values might have prevented the massacres.
In other words, Syria shows how dreadful and wrong the left’s foreign policy is. Nevertheless, although this is a wonderful opportunity for Republicans to emphasize a huge defect in leftist thinking, nearly everyone has been silent. A week ago, Bret Stephens in the Wall Street Journal wrote an editorial that went a step in the right direction, but he talked about the first item in my list only.
You can’t expect to win elections by fighting the other guy with one hand tied behind your back!
A Good Example of Rich People’s Leftism
Here. The situation is that some elites in LA want to destroy some neighborhoods and replace the existing houses with high rises so that there is more density. Naturally, those who are most in favor of this don’t want their own neighborhoods to suffer the same fate.