With the terrorist attack in Orlando, we once again have an example of Muslims murdering leftists. At least, we can presume that most of the victims were leftist or left-of-center. Did this cause the mainstream of the left to re-think its irrational position on Muslims? Of course not. Leftists say they like change, except apparently when it means changing their own irrational policies. How is the left’s policy on Muslims irrational? Let me count the ways.
1. Muslims murder leftists. Plenty of leftists have been murdered by Muslims, but this doesn’t affect leftist beliefs at all. The largest number was in Iran beginning in 1979, but others have been murdered, too. It is irrational to support people who want to kill you. Jews don’t support Nazis, and blacks don’t support the KKK, so why would leftists want to support Muslims?
2. Muslims are not themselves leftists. Many of them are sexist, homophobic, and anti-secular. Large numbers of them believe in the killing of apostates, some believe in slavery, and some believe that music should be banned. There is almost no intersection of values between leftists and the typical Muslim. About the best one can do is to point to their joint hatred of American imperialism, but for leftists the problem is imperialism, while for Muslims the problem is that Americans are doing it. Islamic imperialism would be fine for them.
3. Muslims will not become leftists. In fact, younger ones are moving in the opposite direction.
4. Muslims are not a bit grateful to the left for any support received from them. In Iran in the 1970s, the left worked to take down the Shah, but although Muslims wanted this, too, they never showed any gratitude, but instead started murdering leftists. In addition, the immediate response of Muslims to cartoons or literature by leftists that they don’t like is to kill or at least threaten to kill, whereas someone who was grateful would settle for a demonstration.
5. Muslims are not worthy of leftist support. Anyone who knows the history involved knows that Muslims have been imperialists in the past, so it is ridiculous to think of them as somehow eternal victims of the West. Hindus are more worthy than Muslims are since they have never been imperialists.
6. A movement that coined the slogan that “religion is the opiate of the people” should be cautious, to say the least, about supporting any religious group. Does anyone on the left even remember this slogan anymore?
7. Leftists often call anyone who rejects their embrace of Muslims a racist, even though Muslims do not constitute a race. “Xenophobic” would be a more accurate word, but they seldom use it.
These are some of the more obvious ways in which leftists are irrational about Muslims. I’m sure there are plenty more.