Soccer: Oops, I Blew It
I’ve been preoccupied with other things and wasn’t even aware that an exhibition game between Paris St. Germain and Real Madrid was being held in Columbus a few nights ago. These summer exhibition games have never before been held in Columbus, so I paid no attention to any advertising since I assumed it would be in New York or something. It sounds like the streets were ridiculously crowded because of not just the game, but also a concert and the Ohio State Fair, so I’m not too sorry I missed it. I’m getting too old for that sort of thing.
Hillary versus Bernie: I’m Not Surprised
This post from the Daily Kos insists that if the nomination had been run fairly, Sanders and not Clinton would have won. I am not surprised, though I am amused that they actually acknowledge the bias of the MSM for Clinton (though it wasn’t part of their calculations). That the MSM is biased has been known for years by everyone on the right.
What’s important, though, is that the Democrats are the ones who emphasize fairness. They keep saying they are the party of fairness, yet they are the ones whose nomination process was unfair. Yes, I know that there are plenty of women who seem to think that fairness in this election means that everyone should acknowledge that it’s Hillary’s turn, but when lots of people are hurting, they don’t think of fairness in those terms. They want someone who will help them, and Hillary isn’t their choice. Anyway, she belongs in prison.
Hitchhiking and Muslim Immigrants
Back in the early 1970s when I was in college, there was a craze among young people for hitchhiking. It was a cheap way to get around, and if you were young and had a car, picking up a hitchhiker was a nice way to share your good fortune. By the time I left college, the craze was pretty much dead. What happened? While maybe 99% of the encounters between hitchhiker and driver were fine, the remaining 1% were dreadful. It’s not that someone got dropped off at First Street when they wanted First Avenue, or that the driver and rider got into a bitter argument over which rock band was the best or whether it was worthwhile to join SDS, but rather that young women were being raped and murdered (and maybe young men had bad things happen to them, too, except what I heard about that was third-hand, so I can’t be sure). And very quickly the whole practice just disappeared.
Today, there were large demonstrations in Germany against Merkel’s immigration policy (here), and it’s not hard to see why. When people don’t feel safe, they will protest, whether in the streets or the voting both, and the one thing we can say about the authorities and the immigrants is that the authorities don’t really care about us. Their job is to protect the immigrants from us and not vice versa. If only 1% of the immigrants pose a problem, then the authorities will feel that is manageable, but that won’t be how the average person will see the problem. Dealing with the hitchhiker violence was easy: stop hitchhiking, and the problem will go away. It’s much more difficult with immigrants, but if a country is united behind finding a solution, then a solution will be found. The trouble is that so many elites think there is no real problem.
A Loss of Tourists for Some Countries
See here. Some countries that depend a lot on tourist money can’t attract tourists because of violence and unrest. Too bad. One of these countries is France, though first on the list is Turkey. I’m glad I went to Turkey, and to Egypt, before things got too crazy.
Socialist Summer Camp
I first heard about this concept in the Woody Allen movie Annie Hall (here), and I thought it was a joke. It wasn’t until later that I realized there actually were such camps.