This post was inspired by hearing about a woman who is director of a college museum. The museum itself is less than a decade old, while the college (in an isolated rural area) is nearly two hundred years old; nevertheless, this woman thinks the museum is more important than the college, and since she has the backing of several rich donors, she can throw her weight around and wreak havoc. It would be nice if someone were to explain to her that, no, the museum is not more important than the college, but no one who is in a position to do that seems interested in doing so.
Likewise, it would be nice if the left were to explain to Muslim immigrants that, no, we are not going to give up our culture and that they will need to make changes in order to fit in, but the left refuses to do that. This is very dangerous on their part because many of these immigrants come here with the idea that (1) Islamic culture is superior to Western culture, (2) Allah has guaranteed that the West will be Islamic some day, (3) the only reason the West has an advantage over the Muslim world is because Muslims turned away from Allah, but that is changing, which means (4) when the West becomes Islamic, it won’t become Islamic in the way that the West is now Christian. It will become Islamic in the way that Iran and Saudi Arabia are Islamic. Add into this mixture the further value that Muslims think they can use violence to further their ends, and we are in for a rough ride.
All I want is for the left to give a strong signal that they want to preserve Western culture, but they just won’t do it. Instead, they give a variety of other signals, all of which will be misinterpreted by Muslims to mean that leftists are giving them a green light to take over our culture. These include:
• Not praising Israel for its treatment of women and gays
• Criticizing conservative Christians harshly
• Being wishy-washy about shari’a instead of firmly saying we won’t tolerate it (but that would be culturally insensitive, imperialistic, racist, or something else equally awful)
• Never responding to any grievance we have against Muslims in any substantive way, except insisting that we need to allow more Muslims to come to the West
• Condemning Islamophobia
• Saying we shouldn’t criticize Islam
• Insisting that ISIS isn’t really an Islamic movement
• Refusing to refer to terrorism as Islamic terrorism
• Refusing to acknowledge that Muslims have killed leftists
• Treating Ayaan Hirsi Ali as a pariah
• Insisting that terror attacks by Muslims have no motive
• Talking as though a potential backlash against Muslims is actually the bigger problem for any terrorist act
• Pretending either that there never was any Islamic imperialism or else that it was benign in comparison with Western imperialism
• Insisting that any effective tactic to counter terrorism and Islamification will instead lead to more terrorism
• Saying, as Hillary’s confused statement about deplorables did, that sexism, homophobia, and Islamophobia all go together
All of these signals – and there are many more – send various messages to Muslims, none of them the right message. The signals tell them that Muslims are fine as they are and that they don’t need to change; that they aren’t sexist or homophobic, but that the average conservative is; that terrorism is fine because we deserve it; that the West is evil, so anything else would be better; therefore, go ahead and impose shari’a on us and turn us into Saudi Arabia.